February 7, 2008

Because Whiteboards don't make good Pillows

My hands are freezing.


The skin on my palms has turned ghost-white, and a numb ache starts to sear on the joints on my fingers as I punch in the keys. Guess that makes me a candidate for arthritis in the future then, although right now I’m more preoccupied with the current irony of my hands turning into popsicles while there’s a blazing-hot afternoon raging outside. That and I’m back at work again.


Last Friday night, Eph called and asked me if I needed a job. At any normal day I might have said no; I just got out of a job, and I’m not in a hurry to go back into another one anytime soon. Maybe it was because I was grappling with the concept of being broke again, or maybe it was the beta-blockers kicking in that made me say yes. Either way, three days later I find myself as a Creative Communications Officer for the Provincial Governor’s Environment and Eco-cultural Office. It’s probably the fastest hire that I’ve ever experienced, as I applied on Monday and went back in the game the next day. And it’s really not that hard; basically I’m just making press releases for the office to be distributed to the press. It’s really nothing I can’t handle compared to other articles I’ve made for the university paper, although they may not as critical nor as hard-hitting. And the turnout is relatively slow, with an average of one article per day. I usually get sidelined as errand boy or brochure illustrator during the downtimes, which tend to be a lot. Sometimes it even gets to a point where it’s so slow you just want to slump in the chair and doze off.


But then again, with the freezing temperatures in here that seems hardly possible.



No comments: